Altar For Kyoto Arson Victims To Be Removed



Altar for Kyoto arson victims to be removed

Many people are visiting the site of last month's arson attack on a Kyoto Animation studio on Sunday, ahead of the removal of an altar.

Mourners are visiting the altar to pray for the dead and injured, as well as leave flowers and other offerings.



Thirty-five people were killed and 34 others were injured when a man splashed gasoline in the studio in Kyoto City and set it alight on July 18.

The animation company expressed its deep gratitude on its website for numerous flowers and messages from around the world.

The firm also announced that the altar will be removed on Sunday, saying more than one month has passed since the arson attack.

A man in his 20s who visited the site on Sunday said he came to pray and offer flowers on behalf of himself and a friend before the altar is removed.

He said he will support the firm, as he was encouraged by its works when he faced difficulties in studying for entrance exams or in his job.

The company is asking people to refrain from leaving flowers in front of the studio or nearby streets, or from taking pictures in the area out of consideration for residents of the area.