Japan's Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya says there's no need to dispatch Self-Defense Force personnel in response to the tanker attacks in the Gulf of Oman.
One of two tankers attacked last week near the Strait of Hormuz is operated by a Japanese shipping firm.
Iwaya told reporters after a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday that it's unclear who was behind the attacks, and that none of the crew members were Japanese.
He said there have been no subsequent attacks and therefore, the conditions do not meet the requirements to exercise the right to self-defense.
Iwaya also referred to the US claim that Iran was behind the attacks and the heightened tension between the two countries. He said Japan is making an all-out effort to collect information, and he intends to keep a close eye on developments.