Emergency Crews Search For Missing, Assess Damage

Emergency crews search for missing, assess damage

Japanese authorities are still trying to get a handle on the extent of the damage after typhoon Hagibis tore through the country.

At least 74 people have now been confirmed dead. Emergency crews have been trying to locate those who remain missing.

A member of Japan's Self-Defense Forces recorded a video with a helmet-cam on Monday.

Rescuers helicoptered into an area cut off by the floodwaters. They made their way along a washed out road and encountered two women in need of help.

The typhoon brought powerful winds and heavy rain, bursting 73 levees on rivers across the country.

NHK has learned that over 13,000 houses were submerged and more than 1,000 were at least partly destroyed.

Officials say many places received up to 40 percent of their annual rainfall in just two days.

Many people got in trouble while evacuating in their cars. A dashboard camera captured one couple's close call. They were trying to evacuate to a shelter when they ran into floodwaters.

It was only 4 minutes after they left their home. The car ended up getting stuck and was uncontrollable. The headlights went out soon after the vehicle fell into a rice paddy.

They kicked open the doors and escaped, then waded through the chest-deep water to get to a safe place.

Fukushima prefecture in northeastern Japan was one of the hardest-hit regions. At least 27 people in the prefecture died, including a young boy and his mother.

They are believed to have been in their car when the storm hit, but were found 4 kilometers apart. Another son is still missing.

The rain caused 140 landslides throughout the country. Three people in Gunma prefecture were killed when their homes were destroyed.

About 20,000 households are still without electricity. Tens of thousands of homes still had no running water as of Tuesday morning. It's unclear how long it will take for utility companies to fully restore service.

Transportation disruptions continue. About 120 train cars were damaged when a Hokuriku Shinkansen depot became flooded.

JR East says it will take one or two weeks to fully resume operations, and service between Tokyo and Kanazawa will likely run at 50 or 60 percent of capacity until then.

The government says it plans to designate Typhoon Hagibis as a "severe natural disaster" to free up more funds for reconstruction.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said, "Steps will also be taken to provide food, water, cots and other relief supplies, to improve conditions at evacuation shelters, and to help rehouse the displaced.