The suspect in a deadly arson on an animation studio in Kyoto in July has been transferred to another hospital after months of treatment for injuries.
41-year-old suspect Shinji Aoba suffered severe burns all over his body when he set ablaze with gasoline First Studio of the Kyoto Animation company on July 18.
The arson attack killed 36 studio employees and injured 33 others.
The police have been waiting for his recovery to execute an arrest warrant they had already obtained on the suspect for murder and arson charges.
Now that his condition has improved enough for conversations, he was transferred to a hospital in Kyoto from a hospital in Osaka in an ambulance on Thursday.
Six days earlier, Kyoto police held their first interview with the suspect in the Osaka hospital. Investigative sources say he told the police that the animation company's First Studio was his target, as it had the biggest number of workers among the company's studios. Aoba also reportedly told the police that he knew he would be sentenced to death anyway.
Aoba will continue with rehabilitation at the Kyoto hospital.
The police say they will arrest him when he makes a full recovery.