Japan's foreign minister says the government is considering necessary measures in case a Japanese firm is impacted by a wartime labor lawsuit in South Korea. Taro Kono was speaking to reporters during a visit to India.
A group of South Korean plaintiffs who won the suit against Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal applied to the court last week to seize some of the company's assets in lieu of compensation.
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called the move "extremely regrettable" when he appeared in an NHK program on Sunday. He said he has instructed relevant ministries to study specific counter-measures in accordance with international law.
Kono said the Foreign Ministry is closely coordinating with other government offices to prevent the Japanese company from being treated unfairly.
He urged the South Korean side to quickly handle the matter.