Japan's government says it won't submit a resolution condemning North Korean human rights violations at the United Nations this year.
Japan and the European Union have jointly submitted such resolutions to the UN Human Rights Council for the past 11 years. The resolutions referred to Japanese nationals abducted by North Korea.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters on Wednesday that the government made the decision after considering the outcome of last month's US-North Korea summit and the circumstances surrounding the abduction issue.
Suga noted that US President Donald Trump raised and discussed the abduction issue with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the summit.
Suga said the government fully supports President Trump's stance. He noted that the President is determined not to make easy compromises or concessions, but is also ready to continue a constructive dialogue and encourage North Korea to take concrete actions.
Suga said he does not think Japan's decision will undermine the international community's concerted actions.
The EU is expected to submit a solo resolution to the UN this year, and Japan intends to vote in favor of it.
Japan's trade and other sanctions on North Korea are set to expire on April 13. The government is expected to decide early next month to extend them.
When asked about the matter, Suga replied that Japan will work closely with the United States and other countries and continue to fully implement UN Security Council resolutions.