The Kyoto Prefectural Police Headquarters have released the names of ten of the 35 victims who died in the arson attack on a Kyoto Animation studio last month.
Police investigators have identified all the victims of the July 18 attack, but the headquarters had withheld the information until now.
Chief investigator Ryoji Nishiyama told a news conference on Friday that police released the names of ten victims because their families consented.
He said the bereaved families are in deep shock and they need time to accept the deaths. He also said Kyoto Animation has been opposed to releasing the victims' names.
He indicated that police will try to obtain approval from relatives of the other victims and the company.
One of the victims is Yasuhiro Takemoto, who directed many Kyoto Animation shows, including the hit TV anime series "Lucky Star".
The nine others are: Junichi Uda, Yuki Omura, Yuka Kasama, Yoshiji Kigami, Ami Kuriki, Sachie Tsuda, Futoshi Nishiya, Keisuke Yokota and Mikiko Watanabe.
In addition, the family of Naomi Ishida has disclosed her death.