The US Ambassador to Japan, William Hagerty, has indicated that the United States may ask Japan to pay more for the cost of hosting US troops in the country.
In a speech in Tokyo on Tuesday, Hagerty referred to a recent statement by US President Donald Trump in which he called the Japan-US Security Treaty unfair, and said it has to be changed.
Relatives of Japanese nationals abducted by North Korea have asked the United States to keep pressure on Pyongyang until all the abductees have returned home.
They made the appeal in a meeting in Washington on Friday with Matthew Pottinger, senior director for Asian affairs at the White House National Security Council.
A French prosecutor says French authorities will ask Chile to hand over a national suspected of killing a Japanese university student. He adds the French side plans to convene a trial.
French authorities put Nicolas Zepeda on an international wanted list on suspicion of killing his former girlfriend Narumi Kurosaki. She disappeared in December 2016 while studying in the eastern French city of Besancon. The 28-year-old suspect is now in Chile.
Japan's Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya says he intends to ask the US military to ensure discipline and order are in place among US forces stationed in Okinawa.
Iwaya spoke to reporters on Tuesday about an apparent murder-suicide in Chatan Town earlier this month. A 32-year-old Marine is believed to have killed his 44-year-old Japanese girlfriend and then taken his own life.
Prosecutors in Tokyo have asked judges to question the wife of Carlos Ghosn in connection with funds allegedly misappropriated by the former Nissan Motor chairman.
Ghosn was arrested on Thursday for the fourth time on suspicion of aggravated breach of trust involving Nissan funds sent to the automaker's Omani dealership.
Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga says the government plans to soon ask South Korea for talks based on a 1965 bilateral deal to discuss the recent court-ordered seizure of assets of a Japanese firm.
Suga made the comment on Wednesday after a South Korean district court approved the seizure of assets held in the country by Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal.
Reports surrounding a successor of the iconic Honda S2000 have been around for, well, ever since it ceased production in 2009, and it appears that the Japanese manufacturer isn’t completely opposing the idea.
Speaking to Autocar on the sidelines of the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show, the brand's chief, Takahiro Hachigo, said that their engineers are ready to develop a new Honda S2000, but only if there's enough demand from the public.