BEIJING – Nissan's premium brand Infiniti is relocating its headquarters back to Japan from Hong Kong, its home since 2012, to create "more operational efficiencies" with its parent company, according to a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday. The move planned for mid-2020, and expected to be publicly announced later on Wednesday, will help the Japanese automaker cut costs amid a slump in its global earnings in the year ended March 31. "The relocation will further integrate (Infiniti) with global design, research and development and manufacturing functions based in Japan," Nissan said in the statement, adding that Infiniti would continue to "operate independently". The move also was "crucial" for Nissan to follow through on its strategy to electrify the Infiniti lineup, the document said, with plans for every premium model launched from 2021 to be either all-electric or "e-Power" hybrid. A Nissan official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that while there was a "fair amount of platform and other base technology sharing" between Infiniti and the main volume brand Nissan, "there could be more". Nissan's global operating profit plunged 45% in the last fiscal year and would likely drop another 28% to "rock bottom" in the current one, according to company filings earlier this month. Infiniti's move back to Japan will reverse a decision made under ousted leader Carlos Ghosn to dilute the premium brand's Japanese origins in order to foster a more global image. Its Hong Kong headquarters has about 180 employees who were told about the move back to Yokohama earlier on Wednesday, according to the Nissan official. The Hong Kong headquarters and the global image it was intended to promote were seen as critical for Infiniti to make inroads in China, where being Japanese can sometimes be a handicap because of historical animosities. In 2012, Infiniti and other Japanese brands took a battering in the wake of diplomatic spats over disputed islets known as Diaoyu in China and Senkaku in Japan. Since then, Japan's bilateral relationship with China has steadily improved and Japanese automakers including Nissan and Toyota are seeing their businesses expand, even as China's overall auto market has slumped over the past year. (Reporting by Norihiko Shirouzu; Editing by Stephen Coates)
One of the main differences between iOS and Android is the way users interact with their phones. For example, a lot of Android phones come with on-screen buttons or soft keys for going home, accessing the menu, or going back. This is versus iOS where the newer iPhone models essentially rely on gestures for navigation.
It looks like Google is planning on simplifying Android further because during Google I/O 2019, the company has revealed that they will be killing off the back button in Android Q in favor of gesture navigation. This means that in order to go “back”, all users have to do is swipe in from the edge of their phone.
As we’re starting to see more handset makers opt for the full-screen design, it also means that Android needs to start adapting where instead of relying on on-screen/soft keys, gestures will probably be a better idea. We’ve seen Google adopt some gestures with the Pixel 3 smartphones, but now it looks like they might be expanding on that.
In a report from XDA Developers, it appears that Google is testing out a “swipe back” gesture in Android Q. At the moment, going “back” in Android comes in the form of an on-screen button that users can tap to go back. This has been more or less the standard for many years now, but Google seems to be testing using gestures to go back instead.
Sources say the wife of former Nissan Motor chairman Carlos Ghosn has returned to Japan and is set to be questioned by judges in Tokyo on Thursday.
Ghosn was arrested for the fourth time last week on suspicion of aggravated breach of trust involving Nissan funds sent to the automaker's dealership in Oman.
Investigators believe Ghosn transferred some of the funds to a shell company.