Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Renault are looking for ways to resuscitate their collapsed merger plan and secure the approval of the French carmaker's alliance partner Nissan, according to several sources close to the companies. Nissan is poised to urge Renault to significantly reduce its 43.4% stake in the Japanese company in return for supporting a FCA-Renault tie-up, two people with knowledge of its thinking also told Reuters. It is still far from clear whether any concerted effort to revive the complex and politically fraught deal can succeed. FCA Chairman John Elkann abruptly withdrew his $35 billion merger offer in the early hours of June 6 after the French government, Renault's biggest shareholder, blocked a vote by its board and demanded more time to win Nissan's backing. Nissan representatives had said they would abstain. The failure, which FCA and Renault blamed squarely on the French government, deprived both companies of an opportunity to create the world's third-biggest carmaker with 5 billion euros ($5.6 billion) in promised annual synergies. It also shone a harsh light on Renault's relations with Nissan, which have gone from frayed to fried since the November arrest of former alliance Chairman Carlos Ghosn, now awaiting trial in Japan on financial misconduct charges he denies.
(Reporting by Laurence Frost; Additional reporting by Norihiko Shirouzu in Beijing and Giulio Piovaccari in Milan; Editing by Richard Chang)
We spend an obscene amount of time on our phones on a daily basis to the point where for some, the endless stream of messages and notifications from social media can be extremely distracting when it comes to getting work done. However, Google is here to help with a new feature in Android Q called Focus Mode.
With Focus Mode, users will be able to hit the pause button on apps that they don’t want to be distracted by. This means that if you’re trying to cut out messages or notifications from social media during your working hours or while you’re at school, Focus Mode will let you do that. It will also give users the option to allow the notifications for other apps to come through, so you’ll get to control what you see.
FRANKFURT, Germany — Daimler is looking to make 6 billion euros ($6.75 billion) in cost cuts and efficiency gains by 2021 at Mercedes-Benz passenger cars and a further 2 billion euros at its Daimler Trucks division, Manager Magazin said on Thursday. Around 10,000 jobs will be cut at Daimler, the business-focused magazine said, without citing sources. The separations will likely be voluntary, as Daimler has previously ruled out layoffs until the end of 2020. Daimler declined to comment on the cost savings figure and on Manager Magazin's report. The magazine said the savings are being sought by Daimler's Ola Kaellenius, who will become CEO in May. Daimler said in February it would pursue cost saving measures after fourth-quarter operating profit plunged 22 percent, hit by trade wars, rising costs for developing electric cars and an industry downturn. Manager Magazin said around 30,000 Mercedes-Benz cars with faulty vehicle electronics were produced at its plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, requiring expensive reworking which was causing production delays. Those delays had led to a revenue shortfall of around 2 billion euros and could depress first quarter earnings by up to half a billion euros, the report said. Daimler is due to release first quarter earnings on April 26. Manager Magazin also said Daimler plans to become a carbon neutral company by 2040, ensuring that all new cars, production methods and suppliers work in ways which do not produce carbon dioxide emissions. Separately, Kaellenius will not renew common projects with French carmaker Renault and Nissan, letting an alliance between the carmakers lapse, the magazine said. The Infiniti Q30 and QX30 are built on a Mercedes platform. Mercedes plans to explore more collaboration with Geely, which is Daimler's biggest shareholder with a 9.7 percent stake.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has instructed Cabinet ministers to draw up long-term strategies to cut greenhouse gas emissions by the time the G20 summit convenes in Osaka in June.
The 2016 Paris Agreement on climate change aims to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions to virtually zero in the second half of this century. Signatory nations are required to submit their strategies by 2020.
Nintendo has seen considerable success with its mini-consoles. The NES Classic was pretty hard to come by soon after it was released. It was a similar story with the SNES Classic. Both of these mini-consoles were very well received and Nintendo has sold tons of units. Sony wanted to get in on the action as well so it launched the PlayStation Classic. However, its mini-console hasn’t had that kind of success.
Merely a month after Sony launched the PlayStation Classic, it has now cut the mini-console’s price considerably. It was launched for $100 and is now widely available from different online retailers for $60. That’s a 40 percent price cut just a month after its launch.