Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi discussed the outbreak of coronavirus by telephone on Sunday evening.
Motegi told Wang that Japan will provide whatever support it can to limit the spread of the virus.
Motegi asked cooperation from the Chinese side for Tokyo's plan to evacuate Japanese people. About 700 Japanese are estimated to be staying around the city of Wuhan, which is under lockdown.
Wang expressed understanding of the Japanese decision. The ministers agreed to cooperate in making arrangements on various levels.
After the conversation, Motegi told reporters that 430 Japanese people have been confirmed to be in Hubei Province so far. He said officials are trying to contact others and find out if they are healthy.
Motegi added the government is considering all possible measures, including charter flights, for evacuation and it will accelerate preparations.